Sunday, April 23, 2006

Country Bumpkin

Ok, now to try this again, seems got a hang while trying to publish this the first time.

I may be from a small town in southeast alaska, but I'm far from a country bumpkin, I've done enough traveling and experienced enough to have most of the moisture dried from behind the ears.

So that leads me to tonight. Let me back track a moment, I get a message out of the blue on yahoo from a supposed woman from maryland. We've chatted casually over the past week, but I always had my doubts about the whole thing, the profile I have set up on yahoo isn't exactly one you'd look twice at nor take seriously.

I get a message tonight as I log in at my aunt's home network with my laptop. Says she has a little problem, but nothing big. Didn't think too much of it, moral support is something I do well, so I asked what the problem is so that I could figure out what I can do to help.

"she" procedes to tell me that she's traveling aboad for her work and had to surrender her passport in order to get a hotel room. Now she's suppose to be returning home but got stiffed by her client, a modeling agency, and is now facing a $800 bill and is there anything I can do to help.

Now, I will admit that I haven't had sex in a while but no way in hell I'd let that lead me to give a relative stranger money to help out, even if "she" has promised me "anything" I wanted to do when she would meet up to pay me back. If anything, that set off more alarms that something wasn't right with this whole picture.

My training from the army kicks in and I reveal nothing and being vague about stuff is something I'm irritating good at being. So the angles changed quite a bit once this other person realized that the promise of sex wouldn't budge me, pleas toward my patriotism in "help out a fellow american" didn't work, guilt trip didn't even phase me (I dated a devout catholic and she always tried to guild trip me but that's something for another blog) and when I mentioned that my mother is a retired judge, the peanut gallery got quiet.

I'm curious to know how many fall for this scam if people will continue to try it. I'll help people when I can, but I've only lent money to one person and this person earned my trust while serving together in the Infantry. I figure if I could trust this person with my life, a trifle amount of money wouldn't bother me too much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home