Thursday, March 09, 2006

what to cook...

well, options are really limited here on this island about what kind of ingredients you can use when cooking. things are doubly harder since I have to consider the amounts of sodium in everything I make if I'm cooking for my step father. rather difficult when the majority of foods are either processed or canned, fresh stuff tends to run on the expensive side.

so, with time running thin, I opted for a simple recipie that I've yet to try.

2 1/2 lb pork chops
1 bottle of salsa (sodium isn't as bad as I thought)
1 15 oz can of chilli beans (being canned is higher then I'd wish on sodium)
1 cup frozen corn

Throw the chops, salsa and beans in a crock pot on high for 2 1/2 hours (low for 5). Add in corn and cook for an additional 30 minutes and serve over rice. Should be intresting. I guess I'm starting to show the time I've spent in Texas in my cooking.

Rather funny that the majority of my cook books are stuff for the crock pot, which suited my work schedule in Juneau quite well. I love the aroma off all day cooking when coming home after a long day. Plus the anticipation of a savory dinner waiting at home tends to make dinner that much more enjoyable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home