Friday, June 22, 2007

conscientious driver

Driving around the *cough* great state of New Jersey with Alaska plates kind of stands out, that gold and sky blue sticks out like a sore thumb against the faded yellow of a NJ plate. Had someone pull up next to me and ask if I enjoyed living in Alaska, kind of odd, but I guess he wouldn't have known that I'm still an Alaskan resident, just attached to a ship that's home ported in Leonardo, NJ. Here's some things I miss about living in Alaska.











When I got my ranger back in 2000, I use to see rangers everywhere on the road, but since I picked up my endeavor back in february, I think I've seen another on the road twice now.
I finally figured out a way to go back down to deck work after spending so much time up on watch. A little more research on exactly what I need to do for my Tankerman's endorsement and I'll make the request. So much easier to change when it appears I'm looking to benifit my career then just getting tired of being on watch all the time. I did find out that I need another 8 months sea time before I can start my training for 3rd Mate, was hoping to get into Pacific Maritime Institute's AB to Mate program come Janruary but will have to wait until next year's July class. Will give me time to sock away more money so I'm not stuck in Seattle for 20 weeks without the means to really enjoy the city.
I am looking forward to this deployment, we're suppose to be stopping in Roda, Spain and Suda Bay, Greece on the way over to the gulf. Definately not looking forward to spending the summer in the gulf, although I've already begun preperations for it, a second pair of safety shoes (steel decks in 130 air temp tend to melt the soles off), camel back water pack, lighter weight clothing and brighter clothes then the typical dark stuff I normally wear.
Trying to figure out if it's this constant shifting from "real" food to ship's food that has my digestive system upset. Can't really complain too much about the ship's food other then there isn't much variety to it, it is free and as much as you want to eat. I am eatting more salads, fruits and vegitables, try to take advantage of having fresh stuff when I can.
Well, that's it for this week, finish lunch and head back to ship for watch in a couple hours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home