Saturday, May 27, 2006

We're not in Kansas anymore...

Ok, so I've finally settled down for the moment, well for the next 6 or 7 weeks anyways. Wonderful Neptune/Freehold, New Jersey. I must say, an.......intresting aroma that comes from this state. Don't know how anyone can stand to live here let alone breath the air, guess I"m just spoiled by really clean air, not to mention drinking water that's better then bottled water right out of the tap.

A lot of this training I'm going through I've already done, but company requirements that it's manditory for everyone to go through their own training. So friday I finished up a refresher/review of marine fire fighting. I didn't let on that I've already gone through Advanced Marine Fire Fighting in the past, and this is only a Basic course. I just let the instructors think I was paying attention and was learning fast ;) So, the final practical module we did involved putting out a fuel fire onboard a deck mock up of a ship. According to the instructors, it'd take us 10 minutes to put this fire out AFTER they shut the fuel supply off, well when it came to my turn on the nozzle, I almost had it out before they quickly swapped me out lest i did put it out. It's all a matter of being aggresive, probably one of the few times in my life where I am.

You can't help but loose weight while in that bunker gear fighting "Bravo" fires which run pretty hot, not to mention the outside air standing around waiting your turn to go into the ship mock up. Of course, the bit of fuel mixed with water I managed to swallow learning how to patch up holes in a ship's side while taking on water didn't help me keep my dinners down either.

They sure aren't wasting much time with me, already my training has been cut by 1 week after they've reviewed my training, still I may be here until the 14th of July as they find new classes to take up the time of the ones they've cut.

Anyways, I won't be as active posting until I can figure out why I can't access the wireless internet at the hotel, I will be online briefly each morning as I wait for class to start, they at least have WiFi in the school.

1 Comments:

Blogger PG said...

Well, Gus, welcome back to the East Coast!
So sorry it's yucky and smelly there where you are ...

grumble! Maybe you guys need to hose down the entire state!!
;)

12:52 PM AKDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home